Call for Research Engineer in Networks Department
Other Temporary Positions
Simula Research Laboratory AS is a publicly owned research institute located outside Oslo, Norway. It is a multi-cultural organization, employing about 140 individuals from 25 countries. Simula is conducting ICT research in the fields of communication technology, scientific computing and software engineering. Simula’s main objective is to generate new understanding and create vital knowledge about fundamental scientific challenges that are of genuine value for society. This is achieved through high quality research, education of graduate students, industry collaboration, technology transfer and commercialization
Centre for Resilient Networks and Applications (CRNA) at Simula focuses on robustness and security of ICT infrastructures. This implies research on networks and applications with the aim of making them resilient with respect to failures and changing environment. The Networks department works on resilience in communication networks and applications from a measurement perspective, through prototyping and through theoretical studies. CRNA has built NorNet Edge (NNE), a dedicated infrastructure for measurements and experimentation in MBB networks. NNE consists of several hundred dedicated nodes spread across Norway where each node is connected simultaneously to several mobile networks, which makes it possible to conduct a wide range of measurements and experiments that compare the performance of each network, or explore novel ways of combining resources from each network.
We are looking for a research engineer to join our team of senior and junior research scientists/engineers in the Networks department of the CRNA. The successful candidate will be involved in ‘Measuring Mobile Broadband Networks in Europe’ (MONROE) EU-project. MONROE proposes to design, build and operate an open, European-scale, and flexible platform with multi-homing capabilities to run experiments on operational 3G/4G Mobile Broadband (MBB) networks.
The research engineer position is for two years (with a possible extension to a permanent position) and the successful candidate is expected to:
• Survey the state-of-the-art on measurement systems and techniques for mobile broadband networks
• Design the measurement system including a user access, experiment management and database
modules evolving from the NorNet Edge
• Implement and deploy a user access module with a user friendly interface to the nodes
• Implement and deploy an experiment management/scheduling system
• Implement and deploy the database system
• Deploy APIs that expose measurement data in a well-described and open access manner
Interested applicants should:
• Hold a M.S. degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Network or related fields
• Have strong C/C++ programming skills
• Have experience with Linux at a system administrator level and kernel level knowledge
• Have experience with databases and have knowledge of big data and how to access, search and index it
• Have solid knowledge on scripting languages
• Have experience with Configuration Management tools (Puppet, CFEngine)
• Have a basic knowledge of computer networks and network protocols
• Familiarity with MBB networks
• Demonstrate excellent level of spoken and written English
• Possess good interpersonal skills and show willingness to work as part of an international team
• Excellent opportunities for doing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated
team of international researchers.
• Nice office facilities located close to the Oslo fjord and 10 minutes drive from the centre of Oslo.
• An informal and including working environment.
• Professional courses and workshops led by international experts on topics such as Communication of
Scientific Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Writing Effective Research Proposals.
• A competitive salary.
• Simula strives to achieve a good balance between male and female employees, and women are
particularly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit the following:
• Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and experience)
• Cover letter explaining the candidate’s background, qualifications and professional interests
• Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone
The application deadline is as soon as possible, but no later than January 05th 2015.
Note that all attachments MUST be submitted in PDF format, and with the exception of the CV, and, combined into one single PDF-document in the order specified by the list above. To avoid misplacement, please make sure to include your first and last name in the filenames of all documents that you send us.
We are interested in how you first came to learn about this position – please let us know in your cover letter.
For more information, please contact Dr. Özgü Alay (email@example.com, +4798485362).